Green cactus pear, Red cactus Pear
Is a fruit of the cactus native from Mexico, which can reach up to 4 meters high, branched stems seeing crimped together, reminds us of its origin cactus with its oval shapes, the blades of 4 cm long and 2 cm wide, flat, full of thorns, yellow flowers and fruits attached to the edges of the stems.
The major producers are Mexico first, followed by Italy, Spain and South Africa, grow well in areas with high temperatures and sunny, with little water and very hot. Listed on the international market as “exotic fruit”.
The fruits are oval, thick-skinned large spiny, fleshy and can have up to 40 cm long. They are usually orange with reddish tones in the market but are light green.
Apart from receiving many name tuna in Mexico is called nopal, cactus from Mexico and elsewhere in Central tragacanth, Cholla, Prickly pear, etc..
The uses and commercial exploitation of the fruits and stems of the cactus or prickly pears are varied:
• Fruit can be eaten fresh or processed into juice, jam, candy, syrup, liquid caramel, honey tuna, frozen pulp or yogurt, to the exquisite candied fruit jellies. • The stems are prepared in rebosadas stalks, pickled in vinegar or as pickles.
• The tuna can be leveraged to make alcoholic beverages such as liquors, wines (colonche) or vinegar, etc., As it is also considered a forage plant for animal feed or for the conduct of medical preparations according to their qualities decongestants.
Properties of the tuna:
• The fruit contains vitamins C and A, sugars, tannins and pectins have skills and are astringent antidiarrheal.
• The leaves from their stems have decongestant properties, ideal for calming irritation or swelling, and with them also develops a cough syrup. Also mixed with egg clearly serves to relieve skin rashes, boils and rheumatism.
• The flowers are used as a natural diuretic and has antispasmodic qualities.
Plastic box of 40 Lbs (18 kgs)